Monday, September 16, 2024

Chevy brake caliper leak and the truth on what was not checked.

So the brakes leaked heavily one morning.  I had suspected that brakes would need servicing since last year in the Fall 2023, but the Spring of 2024 proved to be the season of the Jeep.  However, one weekend in August, the warning lights came on.  The diagnosis was the brake fluid was low and that I knew spelled trouble for the calipers.  While still completing the work on the Jeep Patriot for inspection, I was faced with needing to take the Malibu out of service as well.  A close examination revealed that the rear left tire was drenched in brake fluid.  It could have meant the pads were far worn down and causing the piston to expose the seal or that the seal was leaking due to debris or corrosion.  



Dismounting the caliper, I noted the pad still had a little more than 10% life left.  That was actually bad news as the pad being the cause would have been a quick and cheap fix.  While bleeding the brake line as I was resetting the piston, bad news when I looked at the fluid.  It was brown and capturing some would show dark streams within.  No doubt that was the seal decaying and due to the leak, I might have found more.  I later confirmed the findings when the other rear brake caliper was bleed.




I've decided to try again the TRQ brand products.  On the outside, they look correct and seem about as heavy.  All parts need are present.  I originally purchased an entire TRQ refresh kit, that being pads and rotors for all four wheels.



Wrangling the e-brake and then doing an entire bleed to the system as well finding all the trapped air, which took a while.  Gravity bleeding was not fully enough and an entire large bottle of DOT 3 was pushed through the system when all was said and done.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment