Monday, June 3, 2024

Chevy had a leaky tire... and it was not a puncture


 Symptom: 

GM factor steel wheel.  Pumped to required 30psi and car driven around.  That evening, the car is back on the driveway with a bump in psi to 32 from the day.  The next day after the car sits overnight to cool, the psi drops to between 18.5 to 22.2 psi.

This went on for a week until I had time to pull the tire apart and after I put the manual tire changer back together again.

First sign that something was off when I positioned it to separate the bead from the rim.  Letting the air out first by removing the valve core.  The deflated tire was positioned under the push paddle and with one motion the bead slipped off the rim, that is not normal.

Usually it take a few tries and rotating the tire to adjacent spots will allow the bead to slip off.

Inspecting the wheel rim I found a lot of black smudges and gunk.  This was some of the shed rubber from the previous tire.  My haste to put new tires on, I didn't do the thorough job of cleaning down to the rim's painted surface.

I also found that the rum had two clearly define scratches in the metal.  They ran in the direction of the bead line of the wheel and both were rusted.

Looking at the corresponding positions on the tire along the bead surface, I found rust residue.

That there was the leak.

I checked to see if there were signs of a fine puncture like the previous tire and it all looked good.

So the next steps are fine sanding and painting.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment