Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Leaky tire update

It was the valve.

The standard valve is know as a .453" valve for cars and light trucks.

The quality of parts these days are hard to predict these days and even when you try to look at facts and reviews, you will fail somewhere to get the whole truth.

In my case it should have been obvious that it was the valve due to the fact that this batch of TPMS valve stems have had two failures in prior installations.  

I've installed a valve on this same left front tire twice now and should wonder if it is more .449" rather than .453 inches?

On another tire prior, the right rear, I had to reject a leaky valve right away after I had just mounted and then filled the tire.

So it should have been obvious that this tire's leaky valve the issue again.  

I only known for sure that it was the valve while I was trying to top off the pressure.  

As I was screwing on the valve cap, it pissed air at me when I happen to move it off center slightly aggressively than normal.  

I did then wiggle it a little more gently to still hear a faint amount of air escape.  

Any other valve would have no issue with this exercise, but this tire could belched air if I moved the valve stem enough.  

I dismounted the tire and cut this valve off then plucked a new one from my pile of non-functioning TPMS sensor sets.  

The valve was threaded through and pulled into position and I tested the overall feel as snug.

Post air up, I wiggled the valve around again and there was no sign of air escaping.  

13 days of leaks and now five days of checking the pressure post replacement... all seems holding now.

No comments:

Post a Comment