Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Moog Sucks... When did this happen?

I'll admit that I've been out of the car information streams for a chunk of time and enjoying a vehicle that is was still under warranty.  However, the finer points of the in and out in auto parts is a some time anecdotal trail of facts that lead to more emotional impressions than actual facts.

The sudden practical needs for seeking quality part was necessary and urgent, however, the information was scattered and tainted at past.

With only the advertising praises and indirect popularity statistics to view, I made my choices. One of the choices was a familiar name of Moog.  As soon as the "BUY" button was initiated, was the streaks of doubt about my purchases.

In my research for torque specs, I happen to run across the talk of Moog parts were way down in quality or junk?  These reports were lodged around three-four years ago and the highest concentrations of post speak of ball joint failure.  So that would be a window of 4 to 2 years ago for the down turn in quality reports or other words the quality started to dive around 2016-2018.  

Not to jump on the "from China is junk" talk, even though it is without some truth, I have much concern.  Although it must be said that even OEM parts come from China as much from other places such as Mexico, India, Canada, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Czech Republic as much as from China and Taiwan.  The real problem is the volume and variety of differing levels of products.  Many companies offer budget to premium parts.  Unscrupulous companies fake the budget parts as premium. 

I've looked around for how long this was going on and why, but it does seem around 2018 and very relaxed trade restrictions and inspections are the catalysts.   No high amounts of continued negative entries or articles newer than around two years ago.  The current biggest bunch I would find is from 2019 to 2022 and about the 2019 Moog launched heavy advertising campaigns promoting security and the promise of new quality standards. 

It would seem that due to the loss in trust in the Moog name had finally caused them to shape up?  I hope this would be the story.  This campaign included changes in packaging and security marks in the form of hologram labels, matched numbering and laser etched marks on parts.  

These changes included an authentication site.

Moog Anti Counterfeit Site

(https://www.moogparts.com/en-sa/support/commercial-vehicles/anti-counterfeit.html)

Why was this a big deal to me?  Well, in the past months I've been installing some Moog parts as well still have some waiting for installation.  If this is a sure down turn in quality, I'll have to do all this all over again soon.

It is true that there are no shortages in poor quality products made in China.  I would hope that the Moog story was more due to counterfeits rather than the systemic poor quality control and high output consumer junk familiar in all the rest of the industry.  Then I may stand a chance of not having a wheel fall off when I least expect it.

I'll have to find the time to take a closer look at the boxes soon.  However, even with the box and product checking out as good, the only top quality items are identified as "Problem Solvers" for the top quality brand.  At the cost of this tier of parts, you might simply get an OEM part.


By the way...The specs are... 181 ft./lb. for the axle nut, 77 ft./lb. for the hub bearing.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment